Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:49:42 +0100

Brandon Invergo <address@hidden> skribis:

> Personally I disagree with Debian referring to itself as an operating
> system, since it's clearly a distribution of software that can comprise
> operating system

I also dislike of that tendency to replace “distro” by “operating
system” (and that applies to pretty much all GNU/Linux and
Linux-and-no-GNU distros out there.)  Hopefully, hackers and engineers
understand the technical difference.

At the same time, BSD means “Berkeley Software Distribution”, so the
distinction between “operating system” and “distribution” has probably
always been a bit fuzzy.

Regardless, the question we should ask ourselves is what the goal of the
GNU project is.  My understanding is that it is to deliver an operating
system in the technical sense of BSD, rather than a mere collection of
loosely-integrated packages.

Ludo’.