Re: [open-cobol-list] What do you think of JCL ?

From: Vincent Coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] What do you think of JCL ?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 18:45:20 +0100

Hi Patrick;

On Thursday 19 Sep 2013 12:24:54 Patrick wrote:

I will say this again having considered my prev. response that possibly was a bit long winded:

JCL is used to run a job that con consist of one or more processes or programs in a very controlled manner so that the system knows what programs/processes to run and what resorces are needed to do so e.g.,files and where they are in the system (remember M/Fs have a lot of drives both fixed and removable and when I say a lot I mean >10 and in one site I worked at it was in the 100's) what printer to send the output to, what priority to use for the job (very slightly similar to the Linux nice command). and when to run it along with a stack of other details.

I would recommend you have a look at the IBM website and read the overview of JCL for more info.

. but simply put, there is NO need for a another JCL tool in Linux as there are plenty of them already for controlling what and when a process is run and no processes are required to tell an operator to load special paper onto a given printer or to load a drive onto a specific spindle etc.

Vince