Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 17:43:15 +0300

* Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@croatiafidelis.hr> [2021-05-08 01:42]:
> I also like the JQuery's original non-evil-use clause. None
> of those is really against either _real_ freedom or _good_
> freedom or freedom for good which I subscribe to. So those
> should be alowed, in my opinion. Not imposing my opinion
> though...

I did not know this.

In general, software freedom means that it can be used for any
purpose, otherwise it is not free. It is very fundamental to
understand this liberty.

And there is no way also to ensure that somebody use it for good or
bad, neither there is no universal way to judge about that.

There are too many issues entangled when one attempts to judge what is
bad or wrong. Is it evil in this country and jurisdiction but not in
other?

Can a prostitute in German use free software for reminder
appointments? Maybe her profession is legal and considered alright in
Germany? Same cannot be said in those countries who will deem
prostitute a criminal.

Can a criminal use software to conduct illegal acts? Of course. We
cannot impose restrictions on criminals. They would neither respect
licensing conditions.

Can software be used to direct missiles and invoke new world wars? Of
course.

Example of non-free, proprietary software is AVideo or formerly known
as YouPHPTube: https://github.com/WWBN/AVideo

Where it says:

,----
| First thing...
|
| I would humbly like to thank God for giving me the necessary
| knowledge, motivation, resources and idea to be able to execute this
| project. Without God's permission this would never be possible.
`----

I don't mind of people being religious, but I doubt that such
statements have place in a planetary available, accessible and usable
software. Mixing religions with software distribution is just a bad
tast, lack of empathy for human on this planet. Like everybody must be
Christian, Buddhist, etc...

,----
| For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things: to whom be
| glory for ever. Amen. Apostle Paul in Romans 11:36
`----

I guess that author would not agree to the 770 Bible inconsistencies
found here:
https://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/bible-inconsistencies.pdf

And now for the final licensing issue:

,----
| This Software must be used for Good, never Evil. It is expressly
| forbidden to use AVideo Platform Open-Source to build porn sites,
| violence, racism, terrorism, or anything else that affects human
| integrity or denigrates the image of anyone.
`----

The author wants software to be proprietary. However, GNU GPL would
make such additional conditions invalid.

I don't know so far somebody who watches online videos that has never
been interested in porn videos. Then I do not know any medium size
video website where violence has not been shown. People are interested
in violence and watch such movies and videos. Racism issues are all
over the Internet, even if not, something could be capriciously
considered racism and author would like to play God or Boss to revoke
the license, but GNU GPL protects users.

"Anything else that affects human integrity or denigrates the image of
anyone" -- is such a vague description that author could play God or
Boss at any time to try revoking the rights, but GNU GPL does not
allow it.

We can see here that author is Christian, would somebody now promote
770 Bible inconsistencies, he could say "that affects human integrity
and denigrates image of God or Christians" -- and that is problem. But
not real problem, as Richard Stallman made the license clear, that it
may be simply ignored:

,----
|   All other non-permissive additional terms are considered "further
| restrictions" within the meaning of section 10.  If the Program as you
| received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
| governed by this License along with a term that is a further
| restriction, you may remove that term.  If a license document contains
| a further restriction but permits relicensing or conveying under this
| License, you may add to a covered work material governed by the terms
| of that license document, provided that the further restriction does
| not survive such relicensing or conveying.
`----

So we can safely ignore such restrictions.

Additionally author license it under 2 licenses:
https://avideo.tube/AVideo_OpenSource#OSAV

Where one is not compatible to GNU GPL, as CDDL license says "that
Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms of this
License".

Users should not care as GNU GPL does allow to remove such further
restrictions right away.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns