re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:43:59 -0500 (EST)

Much as we might want to shut off the Russians, I don't think this is something
that the GPL type licenses allow...  This has come up time and time again in
regards to limiting access to all sorts of other undesirables, and the bottom
line is that as long as they are complying w/ the licenses (i.e. copylefting
changes, etc.) they can't be cut off...

An ironic / amusing question I remember being raised a while back: Is the
question about if Free Software is used in a 'smart' weapon, (smart bomb
guidance system, drone, etc.); and an intact device falls into the hands of the
enemy, does that count as 'distribution' and entitle the enemy to demand the
corresponding source code?

ART