Re: shorthand for autoBeam control

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: shorthand for autoBeam control
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:10:28 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before: What do you think
of using `c[]' as a shorthand for `\autoBeamOff c \autoBeamOn'?

Currently, `c[]' produces

          _____

(a note with a beamlet to the left and right), which is neither
documented nor makes much sense IMHO.

My special example is this where such a shorthand would be quite
convenient:

 c4 c c \times 2/3 { r8 c16 } c8

I don't think [] should even compile. c() currently means that a slur started prior to the note ends here, and a new slur begins (though I would write it `c)('). If anything, c[] should mean the same thing for beams, but that would not make any sense. Come to think of it, it doesn't make any sense for slurs either.
--
Dan