[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: error :GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here #

From: ming tsang
Subject: Re: error :GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here #
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 12:12:03 -0400

Dear David Wright:

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will wait for #1379 in frecobaldi user list to resolve.

I use surface pro 4 & window 10; frecobaldi v3.1.3, lilypond v2.23.3.
I have the following info about my surface pro 4:
I use handwriting pad in my keyboard to write file location and file name.  I don't know "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)" is UTF-8 or UTF-16.

The following is how one can re-create the problem in window 10.
1.   create c:\yming\lily_聖詩 
2.  then I create file name in frecobaldi    勉勵.ly; and saved to "c:\yming\lily_聖詩".
A.  In "file manager" - double click the file name - frecobaldi opens up two blank tabs with unreadible tab names.
B. within "frecobaldi" - file>open ... then nevigate to  location c:\yming\lily_聖詩 ; click on file 勉勵.ly frecobaldi display the file with contents in "勉勵.ly." tab.

Note:  either file location or file name or both contain non english characters, "A" happends.


On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 11:56 PM David Wright <> wrote:
On Sun 18 Jul 2021 at 21:03:12 (-0400), ming tsang wrote:

> I lost track of the author who updated the snippet id 197 recently. I
> adapted to display the UTF-8 character in file path (location) and file
> name.
> I did some test:
> 1.  file location path that contains UTF-8 character and no UTF-8 character
> in file name.
> 2.  no UTF-8 character on the location path but has UTF-8 character on the
> file name.
> 3.  Both file location path and file name contain UTF-8 characters.
> All three tests were successful - i.e. able to display UTF-8 characters.
> However, I cannot open the lilypond in file manager by frecobaldi v3.1.3.
> The files are only able to be open inside frecobaldi by file>open; select
> the right file on the 1,2,3 tests.
> Thank Knute for opening up a problem with frecobaldi to resolve this issue.
> Thank you everyone for helping. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

A couple of years ago, you wrote "Question: Window 10 support UTF-8
file name and lilypond does not. Is there any work around?"
I remain unconvinced, but I'm not a Windows user, so it's difficult
to experiment.
which is a page metadated Mar 29 18:57, says "Windows filesystems
use Unicode encoded as UTF-16 to store filename information."

So I think it's likely that you're not creating filenames containing
UTF-8 characters, but that you're reencoding UTF-8 characters as
UTF-16 ones. UTF-8 characters can occupy any number of bytes up to
four, whereas UTF-16 characters can only occupy either two or four
bytes, but not one or three. In addition, UTF-16 is byte-order
sensitive, whereas UTF-8 isn't.

My guess, though, would be that Frescobaldi can handle four-byte
UTF-16 characters when asked to open a file, but might not be
correctly parsing the same characters when a filename is handed
to it by the file manager. I suppose you have to wait for #1379
to be resolved.


ming (lyndon) tsang

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]