Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine

From: Ian Holsman
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:54:15 -0800

On 26 Feb 2001, you wrote in games.nevrax:

>Bernard Hugueney wrote:
>
>I guess we're raising the question of time sharing (or 'multiplexing',
>sounds cool :)). You can let the OS do it for you and use threads
>everywhere : BeOS is a good example since everything than can receive
>events is in a thread. You can do it all by yourself : use one process
>and dispatch the incoming events to functions (ie. WinProc). Why you
>would use one more than the other is a matter of design, and also
>depends on the type of application and the OS you use. The anwser is
>really not simple and won't certainly fit in a mail, but I must admit I
>don't have good pointers to give ...

for discussions on different threading models you really should be looking at, and drill down to the documents/technical papers.
you probably don't want to maintain a thread per connected user, but
have some kind of 'state' information which can be refered to by the incoming request.

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

..Ian