Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine

From: Nicolas Hognon
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:11:22 +0100

i'm aggry with you
at this time i'll use select for windows and linux (or poll for linux)
and design my server so that i can implement another better solution.

has i said before better solution under windows are
- are windows message and event and i don't want use it
- overlapped I/O but i don't really understand how it works
  so it's not easy to design a server which is able to use select and this
  technic. perhaps you already know it but you can take a look at
http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/articles/io-strategies.html

I was more or less suggesting than the solution is not a matter of adopting
select() or not, but rather implies a deeper reflexion on the pb of service
scheduling... And being cross-platform doesn't mean being uniform, it would
be a shame to ignore each OS's specificity. An approach could be to get the
best implementation, say, for Linux and Windows, find out an abstract model
that unifies both and brings this into NeL. Here again, just a hint ...

--
Nicolas Hognon
address@hidden

Virtools - The Behavior Company
Tel. (+33) 1 42 71 46 86 / Fax. (+33) 1 42 71 86 53
http://www.virtools.com/