Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHP3 support

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHP3 support
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:28:07 -0800

Leonardo Gomes Figueira wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   do you guys plan to continue supporting PHP3 for phpgroupware ?

Absolutely

> I'm asking this because I've been using PHP3 in my server until now just
> because i didn't have a good reason to upgrade (don't mess what is
> working rule) but for the past weeks i realised that many bugs that
> exist in my phpGW installation are due to the version of PHP. This
> problem became more clear to me with the modifications in Email app of
> last week, i got "parse error" in the email classes files and when i
> submited the bugs, the developers fixed the file and when i synced again
> with CVS the parse error was in another file, this happened with several
> files and still it's not working.

Bummer. We are trying to get more developers to test in PHP3, but dont
always have time.

> But today when i synced with CVS it got really messed up:
>
> Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in
> /home/httpd/html/groupware/phpgwapi/inc/php3_support_functions.inc.php
> on line 112
>
> What the hell happened with the login screen that was there ????  :)))

I must have left that parse error in there when I was adding in some new
functions last weekend. Its a simple thing to fix, and not something to
freak out about. If you use code thats in development right from CVS
then you better be ready to handle problems.

> I decided to upgrade now to PHP4, i don't think this is a problem at
> all. I just think that maybe would be better for the project and to it's
> users to stop supporting PHP3 or at least put a warning in the
> documentation that things may not work very well with PHP3.

If you want to upgrade, then thats fine. But we are going to continue to
support PHP3 and no warning is nessesary, we just need to fix a few
bugs. Again, if you want to use cvs dev code and you expect to pull from
cvs any time and expect it to work, you are being foolish.

Next time kindly let us know you found a bug and we will fix it, dont
rant about development code being instable because it only makes you
look rude and foolish.

Seek3r