[Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed changes to 16 API

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed changes to 16 API
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:14:03 +1000

Hi all,

I know the clear policy of the project is to not include new features in
stable.  At the same time I believe that duplicating the same code
multiple times in applications is a waste of time for the developer to
add, a mess of empty directories when it is moved to the API and of
little benefit to anyone.

Give then above I propose that we add the following JS libraries to the
16 api js directory:

* Sarissa (sarissa.sf.net)
* FCKEditor (fckeditor.net)
* My base js functions lib

In addition I propose that we add phpmailer from head email (and
communik8r) to the api.

I would also support adding Sigurd's back port of the XSLT template
engine if it is thoroughly tested.

I am proposing this for several reasons.  Firstly I am finding that most
of the stuff I am doing in head is 16 compatible and should remain so
for a little while (clients only want to pay for stuff they can play
with now).

Secondly I am using Sarissa, FCKEditor and phpmailer in a lot of stuff I
am working on.  It seems pointless to me for me to continue adding this
code to each apps cvs directory.

I also think that adding Sigurd's patch may help with the transition to
head.  I know head has other changes, but they can be dealt with in good
time.

The only one of these changes that will have any impact on exiting 16
code/apps is Sigurd's backport.  The js and phpmailer code will only be
used by HEAD and 3rd party apps.  At the same time I will keep the CVS
tree cleaner.

What do people think?  I plan to commit this in a few days unless there
is any real objections.

Cheers

Dave
--