[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 27 Sep 2003 12:08:11 +0200

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:12:11PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:
> > > To me, your analogy isn't correct.  "Being able to" isn't the same as
> > > "having the freedom to".
> >
> > Hum, in fact my sentence was not clear. The following is more
> > redundant but more accurate:
> >
> > "Having the freedom to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
> > freedom" (indeed!)
> >
> > Or
> >
> > "Being legally able to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
> > freedom"
>
> But this person isn't cheating in the first place.
> Also if a player wants to cheat, it is his problem.
>
> I agree it can be very inconvinient for other players.  On the other
> hand it is not up to us to say: "you can't cheat in games".

It up to us to say: "we will not help you to cheat in games against
real human players".

> > When someone harm other persons, it's surely up to him. But I do
> > not want to provide the tool specifically dedicated to harm each
> > other.
>
> Hmm.  Cheating in games doensn't harm anybody.

It does. It destroy the fairplay spirit and that is a harm. Not a
major harm, sure, but it does not contribute to make our world
something we enjoy living in.

> I think that in a game community that respect itselves the members
> don't cheat on each other and the cheating members are refused to
> participate.

Unless cheating members find out software like the one proposed,
probably not really detectable by others players.

> > > The program can also be used to fix holes in Free game software.
> >
> > No, it cannot. Read the description of the program.
>
> It does not say anything about it, that is true.  But it doesn't say
> it can't be used for that.  So for me it can be used for it with or
> without modification to the code.

When the author explicitely give a purpose for his software, and this
purpose is unfair, we, sure, can maybe find another purpose. But there
isno evidence that at some point the author will try to make his
software useful for this other purpose.

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: