guix-devel

Re: Update CoC adapted from upstream 2.1 (instead of 1.4)

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Update CoC adapted from upstream 2.1 (instead of 1.4)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:59:42 +0100

On 25.02.2022 01:05, zimoun wrote:

> Any opposition?

Not from me for sure.  The wording "sex characteristics" was added by the
author of the CoC as a response to my and others' suggestion to add "sex,"
and while I think it's a bad euphemism for just 'sex' (trying very hard to
shoehorn the issues raised into the author's worldview), it's better than
there not being any reference to sex at all.

---

I have to say though, I'm deeply disappointed with the way the other thread
went.

All I wanted was to have a different, arguably more well-established feminist
viewpoint to be respected by the CoC as well, and in response I was vilified
and accused of trolling and harassment.

>From what I understand, none of the active members of the Guix community
know what it's like to be born with female anatomy and mistreated for that
reason.

Transwomen have many challenges they have to face, and some of them may be
similar or equivalent to some challenges women have to face, but to claim
that there are no issues unique to biologically female people (including
transmen and AFAB non-binary people BTW) simply points at a rather deep
ignorance towards sex discrimination.

As it stands, if a person with a classical feminist consciousness about sex
discrimination were to ask me whether the Guix community would show respect
towards her experiences and take her issues seriously, I would not be able
to reassure her.

Rather, it seems that any such woman who enters the community and is open
about her views is going to risk being vilified and lectured about her own
lived experiences.  By a group of male-born people, no less.

The Guix community cannot legitimately call itself a kind and inclusive
community so long as this problem stands.

--
Taylan