guix-devel

Re: Update CoC adapted from upstream 2.1 (instead of 1.4)

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Update CoC adapted from upstream 2.1 (instead of 1.4)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:38:06 -0500

On 2/25/22 11:59, Taylan Kammer wrote:> Transwomen have many challenges they have to face, and some of them may be
similar or equivalent to some challenges women have to face, but to claim

I'm concerned that framing "transwomen" and "women" as though they were two contrasting groups is itself inconsistent with the current CoC's standard of "using welcoming and inclusive language".

While I think the best reading of "Le Deuxième Sexe" affirms that trans women are women, I agree with those who have already said that this list is not a suitable forum for debating the finer points of feminist theory.

It seems to me that one of the reasons to have a CoC is to communicate that the identities and experiences of people who face discrimination are not up for debate. Yet here it seems they are, in fact, being called into question, even though people have already expressed discomfort and asked for it to stop or move off-list.

I've bcc'ed guix-maintainers@gnu.org, since someone requested that earlier.

-Philip

P.S.: Personally, I'm fine with either the current CoC text or with Simon's proposed update to bring it into alignment with upstream, if that has consensus.