Re: Confusing/bogus message in config.log

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Confusing/bogus message in config.log
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:29:14 +0200 (CEST)

Lars J. Aas writes:

> : A Gnits dude would probably prefer
> :
> : configure (AC_PACKAGE_NAME) AC_PACKAGE_VERSION
> : generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION
>
> Or
>
> configure (AC_PACKAGE_STRING)
> generated by GNU Autoconf AC_ACVERSION
>
> This depends on whether or not you believe the version number of the
> configure script follows the version number of the package.  I don't
> think a configure-script really has a version number in that sense -
> it should in that case be a combination of the configure.in-revision
> and the autoconf version, but that's just me.

I would agree, but the GNU standards are pretty clear about this.  I think
the idea was that (e.g.)

`any_program --version | sed -n '1s/^.* \([^ ][^ ]*\)$/\1/p'`

should be able to return something useful with any program of a package.

--
Peter Eisentraut      address@hidden       http://yi.org/peter-e/