Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: idefixx
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:53:41 +1000

Hi guys!
Thanks for your help! The combination on avrdude on srecord works great! I'm
very happy about these useful tools.
But there is one thing I'd like to ask for: If I create a .hex file that writes
the CRC16 checksum to the last two addresses of the EEPROM, avrdude always
rewrites the entire eeprom, instead of just writing to the desired two
addresses. If there is data stored in the EEPROM that I must not overwrite, I
always have to read the EEPROM content to a file first, insert the checksum
with srecord and then write the file back to the EEPROM. Wouldn't it be
possible to make avrdude to perform the programming only on the addresses given
in the .hex file? Actually this should be possible, as the avrdude terminal
mode also is able to program single memory bytes without changing other bytes.
Or, if there is a special reason to always start a programming cycle from
address 0x0000, would it be possible to enable avrdude doing single byte
operations similar to the terminal mode, but outside the terminal mode?
Regards.
/idefixx