RE: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: Marc Wetzel
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:52:47 +0200

> Let me tell you about the main idea behind my initial question:
> As already was metioned the idea of CRC check of the flash
> program memory is intended to detect memory failures that
> appear during the usage of the microcontroller. As technology
> is not error-proof such a failure could have different reasons.
> For certain high reliability applications where the appliance
> is intended not to be turned off for a long time (maybe
> several years) it is necessary to not only check the memory
> condition during start-up but also during the run (e.g. in
> certain time intervals or when the uC is in idle state).
> In order to safe program memory for the CRC generation (which
> is only needed for the very first start-up after programming
> the uC) I was thinking about handling this as an option of
> the programmer software, as it is also suggested in the Atmel
> application note 236.

I also like the idea of doing checksum verification of the flash...
But this seems to me more a thing of a script doing this, and
perhaps a HOWTO in the documentation.

#/bin/Pseudo script
File=$1
Checksum=`md5sum $File'
burnflash.sh $File
burneeprom.sh $Checksum

Or something like this...

I don't agree with doing the checksum-generation in the first-run
if eeprom contains FF FF FF...
Any tampered eeprom could easily be set to these values, and whats more
important: initial flash-errors are not handled correctly

Greetings
/Marc