certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:09:01 +0200

2009/5/25 Martin Spott <address@hidden>:
> Hi Petr,
>
> "Gotthard, Petr" wrote:
>
>> As a first step I thus want to focus on a basic interoperability between
>> the 3 major flight simulators (FGFS, MS FSX, X-Plane) based on the plain
>> RPR/ASN. During this activity we should analyze what details are
>> available in different simulators and later suggest the FOM extensions
>> that suits all three simulators. This way we may reach the maximal
>> interoperability and avoid developing yet another FlightGear
>> multiplayer.
>>
>> Volunteers? ;-)

I'll ask Martin (Adelantado) and Pierre,
may be we can stimulate some students to work on this.
Students would be from the French Aerospace engineering school:
http://www.isae.fr/en/index.html
This may be a nice project to make this work.

> I'm very much addicted to the idea of getting FlightGear together with
> X-Plane and M$FS into a single simulation  environment - last but not
> least because this would answer a question we're regularly being asked
> whenever the present FlightGear on a public show. So far I'm aware of
> the following (commercial) HLA interfaces for X-Plane and MSFS:
>
> X-Plane on Windows: http://www.memention.com/hlaxp/

I should add that we did develop an open-source
proof-of-concept X-Plane/HLA plugin:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/applications/XPlaneHLAPlugin/?root=certi

It is obviously not ready for prime time usage but I would say that it worked
nicely at least during some demos.

In order to push a little bit the demo-ish aspect we did use
some Phidgets: (http://www.phidgets.com/).
Those were used to send command (through HLA) to X-Plane , instead of
"only" using
mouse & keyboard.
The idea behind this was NOT to rebuild some kind of realistic plane
cockpit but
to put some "hardware sensors" in the HLA loop.

The HLA/Phidgets code is here:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/applications/XPlaneHLAPlugin/XPlane_PhiDget/?root=certi

--
Erk