dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] guile switch progress

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] guile switch progress
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:16:09 +0200

> From: stefan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:20:48 +0200 (CEST)
>
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:
>
> > definitly. we also should document (or implement) helpers for the user
> > like (resolve "localhost") which would compute "127.0.0.1" so that you can
> > use it in define-port! calls. dunno what's built into guile, though.
>
> i guess, mgrabmue can help.

Guile has `gethostbyname':

guile> (gethostbyname "localhost")
#("tortoise" ("localhost") 2 4 (2130706433))

The returned value is a vector from which the list of numerical
addresses can be retrieved with `hostent:addr-list'.

guile> (hostent:addr-list (gethostbyname "localhost"))
(2130706433)

The car of this list is the first numerical address.

guile> (inet-ntoa (car (hostent:addr-list (gethostbyname "localhost"))))
"127.0.0.1"

HTH.

> Now a few more problems/questions:
>  * did we consider linux being a modular kernel (interfaces can be
>    added/removed at runtime) ? can a INADDR_ANY binding handle this
>    correctly ?
>  * the configuration of servers should go into the core library... except
>    the guile part (REGISTER_* macros and their functions are integral
>    part of the server implementation !!! proposal: server-cfg.[ch])
>  * what is the least version number of guile we'll really need ?

Requiring 1.3.4 would be safest, that is what Debian 2.2 comes with.
Don't know about SuSE or RedHat.  I don't know if that is doable, as a
lot has changed since then.

Maybe 1.4 is a safe assumption also.  D'loading and installing 1.4
should not be more trouble for ppl than d'loading Sizzle.

Regards,
  'martin