Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:15:24 -0800

The Doctor What wrote:

I'm just putzing with tla/arch still, so excuse any stupidities.

I use BK at work, and I'm confused by the remote mirror vs. remote
repositories.  I have a remote repository set up (it was cool, I
don't have tla installed on my server, but it created everything
fine.) and I'm working with it locally.

However, I'm using a laptop, so I want disconnected operation, where
I can "store up" changesets to push up later.  How do I do this?
The docs I'm reading say that a mirror is readonly.  Am I reading
something wrong?

* make a new archive on your laptop
* branch your code into that archive
* cache the base-0 revision
* commit work into the laptop archive when disconnected
* when re-connected, synchronize laptop and "home" branches by merging
* optionally, mirror "home" archive on laptop for (read-only) access when disconnected

Also: I'm a little unclear... Does tla not offer an oportunity to
commit single files outside a changeset, like BK?  I liked that
behaviour since I could make tonnes of small changes and they'd all
be documented with change comments, then I could send them all as
one large changeset with really well documented changes.

I haven't used BK, but the same effect can seemingly be had by using file-limited commit, and then merging smaller changesets into larger ones.

Bob