[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Mirrors and remote repositories...

From: The Doctor What
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Mirrors and remote repositories...
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:21:31 -0600

* Miles Bader (address@hidden) [040309 22:01]:
> The Doctor What <address@hidden> writes:
> > Maybe it would be possible to make a voluntary version to
> > let you do per file then "whole repository" changesets.  It'd
> > probably just be tools to make it easier to do or something.
>
> You can already do that with tla, e.g.:
>
>    tla commit -s'What I did' -- file.c
>
> I often do this to commit a bunch of uncommitted separate changes as
> separate changesets.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to do per-hunk commits too, but that's a much
> harder problem (not least being the question of just how you _specify_
> it to a command-line tool!).  What I usually to do that is use `tla
> changes' to make a patch, patch -R to undo all the changes in the
> project tree, and then split up the patch into separate patch-files, and
> apply and commit each in turn.

Well, my work flow in BK is that either:
I do a set of changes, commiting single file changes as I go, then
use the commandline commit to aggregate all the "deltas" into a
single changeset.
OR
I clone the repository and do different work in each one.  For
example: I might be working on a problem and discover that there is
a bug in the underlying code.  So I clone the upstream repository,
fix the bug, commit my work there, then I push it upstream, then go
back to my original repository and pull the changes I just made from
upstream.  This way I can differentiate "bugs fixes" from "my beta
code".
OR
I use the GUI tool which lets you pick files to include in a
changeset.

Ciao!

--
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
maintaining a free civil government."

        -- Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

The Doctor What: Da Man                          http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC