gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Start of an OpenMP Implementation Spec

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Start of an OpenMP Implementation Spec
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:51:08 +0200

Hi Scott  -

On Thursday 26 August 2004 17.35, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> I do not have all the knowledge required to implement OpenMP, nor do I
> have the financial resources to devote myself to OpenMP development.

and this here is the main problem:

> Collaborative design is an iterative process; someone throws out an
> idea, others make suggestions, and a design evolves for practical
> implementation.

which is where we languish: practical implementation. So far no-one has
provided a proof of concept, though many got close, including you and me.

> If you expect a fully-realized OpenMP design and implementation, I'm
> afraid that isn't going to happen without funding and some group effort.

I am disillusioned at the moment. Probably someone else will tackle the
project. I hope to have provided at least the environment.

>    If you're waiting for someone to "hack something" in their spare
> time, you may wait a long time.

I am fully aware of it, unfortunately. It's really been two years since when I
have started waiting for someone who is able (I mean has the technical
competences) to move this project along. I don't know how long I will wait
for, but my guess is - as you have realised as well - without fully
economical backing up for some company really interested in that , who
commits a couple of developers to this or a similar project - with proposals
and designs here we will go nowhere. With attempts, maybe. But no-one seems
to have time for that, unfortunately.

Thank you for your comments anyway
Biagio

Biagio Lucini