gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Start of an OpenMP Implementation Spec

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Start of an OpenMP Implementation Spec
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:08:11 -0400

Biagio Lucini wrote:
which is where we languish: practical implementation. So far no-one has provided a proof of concept, though many got close, including you and me.

I'd be willing to work on practical implementation if I had some response as to the best direction to take. Given that GCC is a community project, I hesitate to simply throw something out and say "here it is" without starting from some sort of consensus.

Also, I believe in design before implementation. To that end, I've made very specific proposals and offered sets of solutions; a lack of feedback tells me that I must either be a complete doofus, or that no one really cares.

I am disillusioned at the moment. Probably someone else will tackle the project. I hope to have provided at least the environment.

I, too, am disillusioned. I've been hunting for funding, only to be stymied by a variety of factors ranging from a poor economy to a lack of vision. In one case, a well-known group of GCC developers was on the verge of getting funding when the customer decided that using commercial compilers was cheaper than funding work on GCC. In another case, a potential funding source decided to go with Java (a choice that they now regret, as I recently learned).

As a single consultant/developer, I can't afford to spend large amounts of time on unfunded projects; I have daughters and lizards to feed. The case for OpenMP seems quite clear to me, and the cost quite low; even a few thousand dollars would move GOMP forward. But so far, I have been unsuccessful in finding funds.

I continue to try, though. ;)

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd