Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Andreas Seltenreich
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 06:22:33 +0200

Andreas Seltenreich schrob:

> Tassilo Horn schrob:
>
>> I updated my NoGnus CVS copy, but Gnus still fetches only empty
>> messages.
>>
>> To get a little more concrete: I tried fetching the message
>>
>>      <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>
>>
>> by pressing RET on this message-id. *Messages* says:
>>
>> ,----[ *Messages* ]
>> | Opening nnweb server on google...done
>> | No matching articles
>> | No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
>> `----
>
> Hmm, right, I'm getting the same when mm-url-use-external is nil. The
> cause seems to be that there now are two redirects (302 Found). Too
> bad mm-url doesn't support redirects when doing internal fetching.
>
> I don't see how one can avoid all redirects, since the last one turns
> the message-id into some internal id :-(. So, referring articles by
> message-id is basically broken when mm-url-use-external is nil, until
> it is taught how to deal with redirects.

Update: url-http.el apparently does support redirects, but it seems to
get confused by the "Connection: close" extra header mm-url is feeding
to it. I suspect this is a bug in url-http.el, since it most probably
would also not work when connection keep-alive is disabled or not
supported on the server side.

Referring articles via nnweb.el works for me with mm-url-use-external
set to nil with the attached patch. I don't know what the motivation
was for disabling keep-alive in mm-url.el, so the patch might be a bad
idea...

regards,
andreas