Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:09:12 +0200

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Rodolfo,

> It seems to be solved, now.
> All I had to do was to update my cvs copies of emacs and gnus and put
> in my ~/.gnus.el the following stuff:
>
> (setq gnus-refer-article-method
>       '(current
>         (nnweb "google"
>                (nnweb-type google))))
>

> . Then, in the group buffer, I did:
> `G w RET <search string> RET'
> an Gnus displayed the message(s) corrispondent to the search string.

Could you please try I fetching old messages by pressing RET on a
message-id or with ^ in Summary buffer works, too?

That's the thing which doesn't work for me...

> But now:
> suppose I want to continue an old thread:
> I can fetch it with the above procedure, but how can I follow it up to the
> gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup?
> If I do `S n' (or `S N') in the Article buffer and then try to send it with
> `C-c C-c', gnus says:

Why `S n' or `S N' and not `f' or `F', since you didn't get the message
by mail but by news?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Post Commands") ]
| `S f'
| `f'
|      Post a followup to the current article (`gnus-summary-followup').
|
| `S n'
|      Post a followup to the current article via news, even if you got
|      the message through mail (`gnus-summary-followup-to-mail').
`----

But that should not cause the problem, I think.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Posting Server") ]
|    When posting news, Message usually invokes `message-send-news'
| (*note News Variables: (message)News Variables.).  Normally, Gnus will
| post using the same select method as you're reading from (which might
| be convenient if you're reading lots of groups from different private
| servers).  However.  If the server you're reading from doesn't allow
| posting, just reading, you probably want to use some other server to
| post your (extremely intelligent and fabulously interesting) articles.
| You can then set the `gnus-post-method' to some other method:
|
|      (setq gnus-post-method '(nnspool ""))
|
|    Now, if you've done this, and then this server rejects your article,
| or this server is down, what do you do then?  To override this variable
| you can use a non-zero prefix to the `C-c C-c' command to force using
| the "current" server, to get back the default behavior, for posting.
`----

Reading that, the correct entry in your ~/.gnus.el should possibly look
like that:

(setq gnus-refer-article-method
      '(current
        (nnweb "google"
               (nnweb-type google)
               (gnus-post-method '(nntp "your.news-server.example")))))

Please replace "your.news-server.example" with the correct address (or
the select method name) and give it a try.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.