[Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex

From: Hakan Tandogan
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:30:14 +0100

Hi all,

As we all are aware, gettext and its implementations in python use the source string (english) as a key for the translated string (msgid).

One little downside I observed with transifex is that it removes all translations for which there are no source text (anymore). Meaning, if we have a large block of text in maposmatic/about.html or maposmatic/donate.html, even little changes in the source cause the translation at transifex to vanish. This in turn feels for the translators like we lost their hard work on translating the huge paragraphs.

One solution that comes to mind would be to split those big blocks into sentence-sized translation units. At the same time, we could move hard-codable strings like git URLs to some other configuration location, like it is done with the {{about_url}} in donate.html, line 43.

Is this acceptable for you?

Regards,
Hakan