Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex

From: Hakan Tandogan
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 12:45:22 -0000

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM, David MENTRE
>> I'm not fond of more manual work put on developer shoulders.
>
> And I am not fond of unneccesay work on translators shoulders ;-) This
> does not really have to be done by a developer per se either, knowing the
> command line and git is enough.

And me being not fond of any unnecessary work on anyones shoulders, I want
to automate as much as possible of that stuff :-)

> this, when it could have been avoided with a simple search and replace by
> one person (which doesn't really need to know how to code)? Also, it can

But doing such simple search and replace operations tend to be very
brittle. Either the one doing it will forget it the next time or mistype
something... He would have to be very careful, each time first generating
the pot, then pulling the source and compare them... And then, either fix
the sources (html, python) or remember to do the manual fixes for the next
time again.

Lots of manual work which *will* fail at some time, so in the end we
gained next to nothing. From my experience with manual build preparation
steps, it is better to avoid steps like that and instead make sure that
failures happen and get detected as early and as fast as possible.

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...