Re: [Mldonkey-users] GuiProtocol - official spec

From: Ofer Nave
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] GuiProtocol - official spec
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:53:23 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Jörg Maisenbacher wrote:

> Ofer Nave wrote:
>
> >>Attention any MLDonkey developers, or developers who have worked on
> >>MLDonkey GUIs.
> >>
> >>I would like to implement the GuiProtocol in perl in a module form, so
> >>that others can painlessly interface with MLDonkey in perl.  I would like
> >>to get an official spec for the GuiProtocol, but the best thing I can find
> >>so far is:
> >>
> >>http://mldonkey.lemmster.de/wiki/index.php/GuiProtocol
> >>
> >>What do all the people who develop the various gui clients use as their
> >>reference?
> >>
> >>-ofer
> >>
>  >
>  > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Ofer Nave wrote:
>  > So is learning OCaml and reading the source the only way to get the
> exact
>  > details of the protocol?
>

> You don't have to learn OCAML, at least i didn't. If you have little
> programming skills, you will be able to recognize function-calls, or the
> equvalents in OCAML and so on. And then you will see, how the
> gui-messages are built, and ...and... and...
>
> For this, use editor with syntax-coloring, makes things a lot easier.
>
> Dek

I must say, it's a bit shocking that between the MLDonkey developers and
the various groups writing gui clients, no one has actually documented the
protocol completely.  It's amazing everything still works.  :)

There's still the matter of protocol versions.  The wiki claims version
16, but I've seen mention that the MLDonkey 2.5.28 is now up to protocol
version 29.  For the time being, I'll claim 16 in my client and go as far
as I can using the wiki docs, and then reluctantly dive into the ocaml
code... :(

-ofer