pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want* to try this...
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:30:01 -0700 (MST)

> Ok this is weird... I tried to do the autogen.sh and it's
> screaming thusly:
>
> <begin error log>
> address@hidden:~/pan$ ./autogen.sh
> /usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
> checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
>   testing autoconf2.50... found 2.59
> checking for automake >= 1.4...
>   testing automake-1.4... not found.
> ***Error***: You must have automake >= 1.4 installed
>   to build Pan.  Download the appropriate package for
>   from your distribution or get the source tarball at
>     http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake/automake-1.4.tar.gz
>
> I have automake 1.7.9 installed via Debian Sid; and automake is where it
> should be /usr/bin/automake... so what exactly is the problem? Do I need
> to downgrade to automake 1.4.n?
I also am on Debian though it's only partly Sid...I have both "automake"
and "automake1.6" packages installed at the same time.  It looks like
there's also an "automake1.7" through "automake1.9" available.  Probably
one of those projects with poor backward compatibility, so they have to
allow multiple versions.