pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *

From: Brad Sims
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want* to try this...
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:36:39 -0600

On Saturday 12 March 2005 1:38 pm, Duncan wrote:
> Brad Sims posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below,  on Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:06:43 -0600:
>
> > Latest CVS built 3/11/2005 hasn't given me any problems so far; my issues
> > of not queueing and not ending tasks seems to be fixed...
> >
> > Minor issue: Help, about gives the version as 0.14.90... Shouldn't that
> > read 0.14.91 or 0.14.92?
>
> No.  As Artur hinted at but didn't quite say, 0.14.9x is the beta series
> for 0.15.0, with 0.14.90 being the first beta in that series, which is CVS
> HEAD at this point.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense now... I shall rename my debs accordingly then <g>

> > One niggle before I end this screed <G>... It seems that Pan CVS downloads
> > headers at about 1channel @170K, but when I download something it gives me
> > 4 channels @ 300+K, I wonder if that is on Giganews' side or if it is
> > something Pan is doing
>
> That's probably because it's doing more processing while it's downloading
> overviews (incorrectly known as headers, incorrect, because it's only
> /selected/ headers, those in the "overview") now, instead of waiting until
> it's finished downloading. See the other threads for the details, but it's
> doing part of the multi-part binary sorting and similar stuff earlier now,
> saving on memory usage so it doesn't choke on a couple million overviews
> in a group like it used to, even with a gig of memory.

Sweet, I can put up with the slower header download for the vastly faster
header sort and reduced memory consumption <g>.

Even with the increased processing on overviews, I find that its still about
70-100% faster to display.

I must say that the changes are welcome... Good job.
--
If I'm an agent of Satan, where's my 10%?