pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want* to try this...
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:38:44 -0700

Brad Sims posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:06:43 -0600:

> Latest CVS built 3/11/2005 hasn't given me any problems so far; my issues
> of not queueing and not ending tasks seems to be fixed...
>
> Minor issue: Help, about gives the version as 0.14.90... Shouldn't that
> read 0.14.91 or 0.14.92?

No.  As Artur hinted at but didn't quite say, 0.14.9x is the beta series
for 0.15.0, with 0.14.90 being the first beta in that series, which is CVS
HEAD at this point.

> One niggle before I end this screed <G>... It seems that Pan CVS downloads
> headers at about 1channel @170K, but when I download something it gives me
> 4 channels @ 300+K, I wonder if that is on Giganews' side or if it is
> something Pan is doing

That's probably because it's doing more processing while it's downloading
overviews (incorrectly known as headers, incorrect, because it's only
/selected/ headers, those in the "overview") now, instead of waiting until
it's finished downloading. See the other threads for the details, but it's
doing part of the multi-part binary sorting and similar stuff earlier now,
saving on memory usage so it doesn't choke on a couple million overviews
in a group like it used to, even with a gig of memory.