Re: Swarm Journal

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Swarm Journal
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:26:45 -0600

Nelson Minar writes:
 > Since everyone else is weighing in.. I think the idea of a Swarm
 > specific journal is pretty silly. Talk about marginalization! There
 > have to already be forums for publishing results of agent-based models.
 >
 > The thing that brought this up in the first place was the idea that
 > people should publish (Swarm) models *with* their papers. I think
 > that's a fine idea, and it's hard to do with the existing journal
 > structures. Maybe some sort of web adjunct to a conventional journal
 > would be appropriate. Point to it in the journal paper, maybe if
 > you're lucky you can clear copyright and get the journal article
 > online as well.

It seems like alot of extra work to go about threshing out copyright
law just to publish both your model and your paper together in the
same place.  If the point is to publish the model and a paper describing
the model and its results, and that publishing process is hampered
by present methods, then it makes alot of sense to start a Swarm
journal.  Why try to fit a square block through a round hole?

Besides, the assumption that there are publishing venues, no matter
how ill-suited, explicitly for Agent-Based Models isn't that safe
an assumption.  I know of a bunch of journals for publishing simulation
results.  I know of a bunch of journals for publishing computer
science.  And I know of a bunch of journals for publishing modelling,
be it mathematical/geometrical/etc.  But, is there one for publishing
ABMs?

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }