Re: Segfaults with Redhat 6.0; gdb crashes too

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Segfaults with Redhat 6.0; gdb crashes too
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:47:16 -0500

The warnings you see are due to a flaw in the code for egcs.  If you get
the patch for egcs that Marcus put in this list about a month ago, you
can compile a new egcs and then use it to build swarm and the warnings
disappear. Alternatively, you can get the newest set of RPMS for Swarm
from my site and those are compiled with the enhanced egcs and you
should not see the warnings.

As for the segfaults, there are some questions I would ask.  1) is you
system a "clean RH install" or an upgrade?

2) Is swarm compiled with the same version of egcs you are using to
compile the applications? It ought to be.

Concerning the gdb questions, I'd like to remind you that the gdb redhat
distributed 6.0 is flawed.  You can either run a newer edition of gdb
you compile yourself (Marcus posted that address last week) or
"downgrade" to the gdb that is on the sfi web site.  The one on the sfi
web site has the objective C patches applied, so I find it very much
preferrable.  Just untar it and put it over the binary file gdb on your
system.  If you do "gdb program" and then after running to a seg fault,
you should type "bt" and it will show the steps leading up the core
dump.

As far as the other gdb problem you mention, about the core file not
being recognized, I have two ideas.  Are you typing "gdb programname
core" as you ought to?  If you use a gdb that does not suck, it will
work.