Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 21:06:52 -0700

MA> /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
MA> `__objc_class_name_SwarmObject' are not defined /usr/bin/ld:

This is a bug in the Objective C compiler, but it should be benign.

MA> /usr/X11R6/lib/libBLT.a(bltText.o): In function
MA> `Blt_CreateTextBitmap':
MA> /usr/src/packages/BUILD/blt2.4g/src/bltText.c:833: undefined
MA> reference to `panic' /usr/X11R6/lib/libBLT.a(tkFrame.o): In

It sounds like you have some mixup between the version of Tcl/Tk that
is getting seen by the BLT build and what ultimately gets linked in
your app.  Watch the `configure' process of these packages carefully
to see what they report finding, and what Swarm reports finding.
Also ensure that there is a symlink from libBLT.so.2.4 to
libBLT.so, so that Swarm links against the shared version.

I suggest completely separating the systems installs areas like /usr
and /usr/X11R6 from where you install stuff from source.  You can use
the --prefix option to Tcl, Tk, BLT, Swarm, etc. to do this.  It's easiest
if you make an area like /packages/swarm and let the respective install
procedures overlay things in /packages/swarm/{bin,lib}.  It's possible
to use different prefixes for each, but that means adding extra --with-*
commands to the BLT and Swarm configures.

I must admit it has been a while since I've tried Tcl/Tk 8.1 with
recent versions of BLT on Debian, so I can't personally guarantee that
works.  Fwiw, on Debian GNU/Linux, I'm currently using Tcl/Tk 8.0.4
and BLT 2.4c.  I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.0.5 and BLT 2.4i on Solaris.