Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:02:01 +0200

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 10:31:11PM +0000, Steve Salazar wrote:
> Hi.  First (before I start complaining), synaptic is fantastic.  Synaptic
> with fedora is a perfect match.  Thanks very much to all the developers.

Thanks!

> I am having a problem with synaptic crashing repeatably whenever I do a
> cancel on an operation that is about to be completed.  For example, I
> select a package for upgrade but that requires that I install another
> package.  I decide I don't want to do that after all so I click cancel.
> synaptic vanishes from my screen and says this on the console:
>
> address@hidden ~] synaptic
>
> (synaptic:1878): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 2042
> (IA__gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> I have been having this problem with synaptic for a long time.  It has
> gotten more stable but still occurs.  A friend of mine who uses fedora also
> says he has the same problem.  I don't experience this instability with
> other apps (at least not systematically, rhythmbox for example crashes way
> more than synaptic does)

I wasn't aware of this problem. Does it happen for other fedora users
as well? Can you please send me a "gdb" backtrace of the crash? You
can do this by starting gdb like this (as root):
 gdb synaptic
then type "run" and make it crash after the crash type "backtrace" in
the gdb xterm and send me the output please.

> Second little point, this is about translation (I think):  The use of the
> word "Reload" to mean what apt calls "update" should be reconsidered I
> think.
[..]

Thanks for your thoughtful argument. I think you are right. As more
people use synaptic now that don't know about apt, they tend not
know that you should update the package list on a regular
basis. Rewording the button is a start. What do the list think about
"Update package list"?

What I'm thinking about is to pop-up a dialog if the package lists in
/var/cache/apt/lists are older than N days. The dialog could look
something like this:

| Package list outdated                               |
|                                                     |
| Your package list is older than 4 days.             |
| In order to know about security and other updates,  |
| you should update the package list.                 |
| Do you want to do this now?                         |
|                                       <no> <<yes>>  |
|   [ ] never ask me again                            |

What do you think?

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ