[Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Steve Salazar
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:31:11 +0000

Hi. First (before I start complaining), synaptic is fantastic. Synaptic with fedora is a perfect match. Thanks very much to all the developers.

I am having a problem with synaptic crashing repeatably whenever I do a cancel on an operation that is about to be completed. For example, I select a package for upgrade but that requires that I install another package. I decide I don't want to do that after all so I click cancel. synaptic vanishes from my screen and says this on the console:

address@hidden ~] synaptic

(synaptic:1878): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 2042 (IA__gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

I have been having this problem with synaptic for a long time. It has gotten more stable but still occurs. A friend of mine who uses fedora also says he has the same problem. I don't experience this instability with other apps (at least not systematically, rhythmbox for example crashes way more than synaptic does)

Second little point, this is about translation (I think): The use of the word "Reload" to mean what apt calls "update" should be reconsidered I think. First of all, the term reload does not suggest anything obvious to anyone unless they are specifically looking for "update" because they already know what they are looking for. At the very least "reload" should be modified to be informative like "reload package list". I understand that there is a desire to keep button names from getting too long, but "Mark All Upgrades" is as long. Not that I'm suggesting making it shorter. I'm just acknowledging that sometimes a longer name is required to make the functions of each button obvious. Also, I would suggest instead of "Reload Package List" sticking with "Update Package List" for the simple reasons that a) "Reload" is in fact less accurate in describing of what is actually happening and b) synaptic is, for better or worse, a front end for *apt*, so arbitrarily changing the name of specific functions is breaking consistency with other tools and commands causing potential confusion for people that are familiar with those tools for basically no reason. I know that the popup tool tip does explain the function of this button in more detail but hovering to get more info is not something that most users would think to do. I think the choice here (unless someone can think of a single word that conveys the meaning better) is either to use longer more descriptive button text or to at least lean on people being familiar with standard apt words like "update" (which btw is what they are going to see in any documentation they read on "how to install these packages" or "how to use my repository", etc.)

My 2 cents.  Thanks again.

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx