Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:55:36 +0200

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:56:54PM +0200, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > I wrote some proof of concept code and put a screenshot online at:
> > http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/synaptic-pkglist-outdated.png
>
> Ah! :) Looks good. Good for novices, others can turn it off with two clicks.

Cool. Thanks.

> > Or should be change the text/wording?
>
> No, I don't think so. Well, a few typos: intervall -> interval, importent ->
> important, Remeber -> Remember. ;)

Thanks. Fixed.

> > Is it clear what happens when "Remember the answer" is selected?
>
> It seems to me the dialog will not be invoked after that.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) When is that dialog invoked? (Program start? Reload clicked? I'm just
> wondering.)

At startup.

> 2) Is it possible to forget the answer?

Yes, I'll add a option in the preferences that be something like this:
"Check when last package list reload performed on startup: [Yes|No|Auto]"

where auto will automatically call update if the package list is
outdated.

> 3) Is the 48 hours fixed or configurable?

Yes, it is already, but no GUI exisists yet for this option.

> 4) You talk about 'Package list' (singular). But on the server there
> are more package lists, right? If so, shouldn't it be 'Package
> lists' (plural)?

I changed this in the dialog as well. It's now "package lists".

> > The problem is here, that all we know after the first stage is that
> > there is a updated package list available. We do not know yet if any
> > of the changes apply to one of the packages that are installed. So I'm
> > a bit unsure about it.

> Why should one care if an update of a not-installed package is
> available? IMO one shouldn't. One should only be informed about
> updates of installed packages. And that is only known *after* an
> entire package list is fetched.  Right?

Right. The only information we get from the first stage is that the
package list changed. What kind of change etc we don't know.

bye,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ