Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:07:30 +0200

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:27:54AM +0100, Chris Miles wrote:
> When I started with Synaptic I had not used apt and did not understand
> what was happening. I certainly did not want to start something that was
> going to make big changes without confirmation from me. How was I to
> know that "update" meant "update list of available packages and
> versions" rather than update my system?
>
> I think your reminder if the list is out of date is a good idea, perhaps
> with a configuration option for how often to check.

I wrote some proof of concept code and put a screenshot online at:
http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/synaptic-pkglist-outdated.png

Do you (and the list) think this is clear? Or should be change the
text/wording? Is it clear what happens when "Remember the answer" is
selected?

> The package list update seems to be in two stages, the first quicker
> than the second. Is it possible to do just the first part quickly so as
> to be able to respond with a "new updates available"?

The problem is here, that all we know after the first stage is that
there is a updated package list available. We do not know yet if any
of the changes apply to one of the packages that are installed. So I'm
a bit unsure about it.

thanks,
 Michael
--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ