Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Leendert Meyer
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:56:54 +0200

On Thursday 21 October 2004 13:07, Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:27:54AM +0100, Chris Miles wrote:
> > When I started with Synaptic I had not used apt and did not understand
> > what was happening. I certainly did not want to start something that was
> > going to make big changes without confirmation from me. How was I to
> > know that "update" meant "update list of available packages and
> > versions" rather than update my system?
> >
> > I think your reminder if the list is out of date is a good idea, perhaps
> > with a configuration option for how often to check.
>
> I wrote some proof of concept code and put a screenshot online at:
> http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/synaptic-pkglist-outdated.png

Ah! :) Looks good. Good for novices, others can turn it off with two clicks.

> Do you (and the list) think this is clear?

Yes.

> Or should be change the text/wording?

No, I don't think so. Well, a few typos: intervall -> interval, importent ->
important, Remeber -> Remember. ;)

> Is it clear what happens when "Remember the answer" is selected?

It seems to me the dialog will not be invoked after that.

A few questions:

1) When is that dialog invoked? (Program start? Reload clicked? I'm just
wondering.)
2) Is it possible to forget the answer?
3) Is the 48 hours fixed or configurable?
4) You talk about 'Package list' (singular). But on the server there are more
package lists, right? If so, shouldn't it be 'Package lists' (plural)?

> > The package list update seems to be in two stages, the first quicker
> > than the second. Is it possible to do just the first part quickly so as
> > to be able to respond with a "new updates available"?
>
> The problem is here, that all we know after the first stage is that
> there is a updated package list available. We do not know yet if any
> of the changes apply to one of the packages that are installed. So I'm
> a bit unsure about it.

Why should one care if an update of a not-installed package is available? IMO
one shouldn't. One should only be informed about updates of installed
packages. And that is only known *after* an entire package list is fetched.
Right?

Cheers,

Leen