Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:54:25 -0400

On Wed, 12 May 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> I don't want to offer the user a choice of several behaviors
> that are all unsatisfactory in various ways.  This way lies
> lots of complexity without really satisfying anyone.
>
> What we should do, when we see how, is make the default behavior
> better.

Considering all the possible modes that can use next-error, I feel
that users would appreciate some control over the process of choosing
the next-error buffer.

With that in mind, why not make the default behavior a list of symbols
as Juri and I suggested, with a sensible default as you suggest?  Here
are the advantages:

1) the user does not have to know how the default behavior works,
   they just use it

2) we can change the default behavior with a change of customize
   defaults, not a change of logic

3) the user can, if he chooses, override the defaults easily through
   the customization facilities

Ted