Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:41:57 +0100

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 12:32:14PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Po Lu [2022-03-09 21:46:06] wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
But yes, I think this behavior you propose _must_ be optional, most
probably opt-in for starters.  Not everyone will want it.
I agree completely.  I'm sure many people have developed a lot of muscle
memory regarding completion, and even tiny changes will probably be a
nusiance to them.

Hi Stefan:

Then again, it's only by enabling it by default that we'll get a clear
picture of which changes are annoyances are which aren't.

I just sent a patch here with new custom values for completion-auto-help
as Eli suggested.

So I'd start by changing the default on `master` and after a month or
so, collect feedback to decide how to go about adding it: either by just
changing the behavior willy-nilly, or introduce it but add an option to
revert to the old behavior, or leave the default unchanged but add an
option to get the new behavior, ...

I agree with this approach by 110%.  I think it is sensible and we can
try to put the 'visual value as default without excessive complains. As
it is consistent enough but also improves a bit the behavior based on
your initial comment without affecting too much the previous behavior.

       Stefan