Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:15:12 +0800

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> If it is small, then should be easier to do. Maybe?

No, let's just add an option for it and let people decide for
themselves.  Thanks.

> Old users usually know how to add 1 line to their config if they really
> feel annoyed and want to revert. But most of them use
> ido/vertico/selectrum/ivy or something else (for a reason btw).

If they are happy with ivy or ido, then I don't see why we have to
change anything at all.  Ido is built-in, and ivy is available on ELPA.

> On every release the NEWS file is so long and most changes are cryptic
> for external users; the manual is usually more difficult to explore
> (almost impossible to find, or search in for a new user) and the first
> impression is in general very bad.

Don't we also have a "what's new in..." section in the FAQ, which should
be much shorter than NEWS?  There's also customize-changed, and the user
manual is available from the menu bar (along with the commands to search
in the user manual, and the FAQ.)

> I have new students every year and I try them to use emacs, after a
> while I notice that they only "stand it" because (and while) I insist,
> some of them try external inits from github to start, some others try
> customizations like spacemacs or similes... but at the end all of them
> end using vim, vscode and so on.

I think vim is a very bad example here, since things aren't much
different on their side of the iron curtain.

> Many of the defaults are very "archaic"... and some are like that
> because of hardware limitations from 20-30 years ago.

I can't actually think of instances of that particular reason.  We do
turn on font locking by default now, for example, including in C-like
languages which are in general quite slow to fontify even on today's
hardware.

> In conclusion we don't have any effective way to "to ask the people to
> try" things that maybe they need.

Let's ask on info-gnu-emacs, it should reach a wide enough amount of
people.

Thanks.