Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:58:56 +0100

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 08:31:57PM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
One question - please explain what values of completion-auto-help
nil/t/lazy/visible/always now do in these cases that you posted earlier:

 1. no unique        (shows or update completions)
 2. unique common    (complete-common and UPDATE completions)

The new values only change this case.  Always shows or update
completions and visible only updates if they are already visible.
The other previous values just hide completions.

 3. unique candidate (complete and hides completion)
 4. unique common but completion is a valid entry (complete-common and hides
completion)

Shouldn't some value disable hiding completions in the last case when
there are more completions available with a valid entry as a prefix?
Maybe the same values 'visible'/'always' should be applicable for this case
as well?

Such modification may create an even simpler code.  But we need a way to
hide the completions because there is no way to hide completions in case
the user just wants that.

Alternatives are:

   a) To make minibuffer-hide-completions an interactive function and
find a binding for it. (zsh uses C-g or DEL to first hide completions
and then execute the normal command after a repet.

   b) We could add a feature to toggle completions (ex: add an extra
value 'toggle, that toggles completions in some cases, but that may
exclude 'always or 'visible).

   c) We could hide completions after a second tab after no completion
   was made when vale is 'always or 'visible and completions are
   visible. But that may disable next-completion with tab from the
   minibuffer.

Any idea?
Best,
Ergus