Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:27:21 +0000

So I conclude that the LibreOffice manual cannot help us figure out how to handle the issues raised in this discussion, viz.:

 . how to handle Texinfo cross-references to other manuals
 . how to decide which of the translated manuals to display by
   default, based on the information we have from the Info manual

I did not mean to address these two issues (which appeared later in the discussion), but only to answer your question, viz.:

Because if you are talking about translations of the manuals, then please name free software projects that have high-quality translations of their manuals, and the manuals are of sufficient size to consider them anywhere near what Emacs has to deal with.

And here's my opinion on these two issues:

About the first issue, ISTM that using an indirection table, as you suggested ("One possibility could be some kind of "translation table" inside an Info file, which maps English node names to translated names.") is TRT in the Texinfo framework. Translated info files could contain such a table, linking the translated node names to the "master" node names (the English ones). That would allow jumping from any node in any language to any node in any language.

About the second issue, ISTM that using the LANG environment variable is TRT (on GNU/Linux).