Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 06:13:03 +0000

Thank you Stefan for Ccing this very interesting exchange.

> On Jan 4, 2024, at 13:46, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm interested in hearing what people think about this, but if
> Jean-Christophe and others intend to set up the relevant infrastructure
> in emacs.git, I think we should try to encourage that.

I’m hoping that Eli will see the benefit of the PO format, the way it
is (currently) prepared by po4a, even if the Emacs and TexInfo projects
end up creating a different but relatively compatible tool/process.

Using PO for the manuals will bring to the Emacs community a
considerable number of qualified and experienced free software
translator teams.

It will also have the benefit of allowing the easy conversion of
already existing translations so that they can be provided to teams who
want to update them.

> I do think it is important that we are careful to set things up in such
> a way that the translating work isn't too disruptive for regular Emacs
> development.

Now that, thanks to Vincent, we have a location for the texi
translations, I think the next step is simply to make an announcement
about that (if I had known it would be that simple to actually get the
ball rolling, I would have proposed that a long time ago).

If, after careful evaluation, a system that provides automatic po (or
equivalent) files is established, that would allow translator teams to
rely on Emacs infrastructure and provide an even better workflow for
teams, one similar to what they are used to in similar important free
software packages (I’m thinking of gnu/linux distribution
documentation, of LibreOffice, etc.)

> Personally, I also would like to never have to see the
> French translations in the course of my usage of Emacs: only users that
> ask for it specifically, or use a French locale should see them.

I have honestly no idea how to modify Emacs so that it offers a choice
of manual languages to users. But once the manuals are provided in texi
format and build into info files, they should be easy to install and
peruse by anybody (even if a tutorial maybe necessary).

Also, I fully agree with you about the strategic importance of having
Emacs and the related manuals translated. Emacs is not anymore a
developer-only system and a considerable number of users who are not
scared of learning exotic tools would dive into it and write easy
automation thanks to the introduction to emacs lisp. That’s a huge
chance for free software.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org