Re: Emacs manuals translation readme

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs manuals translation readme
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:07:05 +0000

Thank you, Eli.

Here are the patches. And comments inline.

> On Feb 17, 2024, at 17:55, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> When I wrote doc/LANG/, I meant doc/fr/, doc/de/, etc.  I didn't mean
> a literal "LANG" string.  So the above renaming now has an extra
> subdirectory, which was not something I had in mind.  Stefan Kangas
> agreed with my proposal back then.  So do you object to have manuals
> translated to French in doc/fr/, rather than in doc/translations/fr/ ?

I think that’s weird.

We’ll end up having something like

de
emacs
fr
ja
lispintro
lispref
man
misc
zh

which is very confusing. I’ve never seen that. I’d understand if the
existing English manuals were moved under doc/en, but since that’s not
the case, I’m not sure I understand the rationale. Still, if you and
Stefan are ok with that, I won’t object.

> If you do not object, please modify the patch accordingly.
>
>> doc/translations/readme | 203 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Please make that README, in all-upper case.  That is how we name all
> the readme files in the tree.

Done.

>> +People who contribute translated documents should provide a copyright
>> +assignment to the Free Software Foundation. See the 'Copyright
>> +Assignment' section in the Emacs manual.  ^^
>
> We use the US English convention of leaving 2 spaces between
> sentences (here and everywhere else in the patch).

Done.

>> +The translated documents are distributed under the same licence as the
>                                                           ^^^^^^^
> Please use the US English spelling: "license".

Done.

>> +### texinfo source files
>> +
>> +Translated manuals source files are located in the `doc/translations`
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It is better to say "The source files of the translated manuals...",
> as the use of so-called "construct state" for more than 2 words is
> problematic in English, and produces potentially confusing text.

Thank you. Done.

>> +directory, under the directory whose name corresponds to the
>> +translated language.
>> +
>> +  For ex. French manuals sources are found under
>
> Please use "Fore example" or "E.g.", not the short form.

Done.

>> +  `doc/translations/fr`.
>
> If you agree to place them under doc/fr, the above needs to be
> adjusted.  Also, please quote 'like this', not `like this`.

Done.

>> +The structure of the language folders should match the structure of
>> +the English manuals (i.e. include `misc`, `man`, `lispref`,
>> +`lispintro`, `emacs`).
>
> Likewise here (and elsewhere: we don't use the Markdown style of
> quoting in our text documents.

Ok. Done. I also replaced the header marks (#, ##) with org marks (*,
**)

>> +You should install the texinfo utilities to be able to verify the
>
> "Texinfo", capitalized (here and elsewhere in the patch).

Done.

>> +Send your contributions (either files or revisions) to the emacs-devel
>> +list for review.
>
> Please use emacs-devel@gnu.org, to make the address complete.

Done.

>> +- automatic lookup of a list of glossary items when starting to work
>> +on a translation “unit” (paragraph or otherwise), such glossary
>                    ^^^^^^
> It is better not to use non-ASCII characters, to make sure any
> terminal can display the README file.  Here, I suggest "units", with
> ASCII double quotes.
>
> Please post a fixed patch, and I will install it.

I just added a sentence that was last suggested by Richard in a private
exchange regarding questions about how to comply with the GFDL, in the
second section.