Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 05:28:30 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: dancol@dancol.org,  Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>,
>   stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 15:52:16 -0400
>
> > Does anyone have a problem with an optional package which, when
> > loaded, binds some keys to its commands?
>
> I do: merely loading a file shouldn't make such changes.

I didn't say "merely loading".  There's windmove-mode, for example.

> I assumed the idea is rather to add keybindings maybe in `bindings.el` of
> the form `[mumble] [ModifierMumble]-<left/right/up/down>` to autoloaded
> commands.  So `windmove` would still not be preloaded and there'd be no
> interaction with `windmove-default-keybindings`.

That makes no sense to me: to "waste" keys for an optional package.
We do this for commands for which there's no other option, like
M-. etc.  But here we do have the traditional other-window (I have it
bound to a key that is easier to type).