Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 15:14:53 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 10:27:44 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > That doesn't clear up all that much.  The answers to "why?" are
> > missing.

> To provide keybindings to the windmove commands by default,
> i.e. without any configuration on the part of the user.

What's so special about windmove that it deserves such privileged
treatment?  windmove is already useable with trivial configuration.

I could argue that there are more important features needing key
bindings.  For example, more easily selecting specific frames, or setting
up a frame to use Follow Mode more easily.  Heck, even other-window
really needs a single stroke key binding.

I would expect you to argue back that these features are just my own
personal preferences, and I would accept that.  I am arguing the same
back to you and Daniel - you want to install your personal preferences in
the default key maps.

Neither you nor Daniel has yet given any strong argument why this
particular package is so special.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).