Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 23:15:04 +0800

Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> writes:

>> Most users will for this purpose use the mouse, if there is really such
>> a number of windows that navigating with other-window is impractical.
>
> That Emacs, of all programs, is mouse-centric and therefore needs no
> keybindings for certain functions is a curious claim.

Real men don't attack straw men.  Anyone can see the enormous disconnect
between your paraphrasing and the original.

> Another curious argument is that a problem X isn't actually a problem
> because, if it were, it would have been solved already. That's true only
> in the limit as time goes to infinity.

"It would have been MENTIONED already."

> What you're doing here is called "poisoning the well" and is another
> invalid form of discourse.

Before convicting your opponent of the cardinal sin of committing an
_informal_ fallacy, it would serve you well to ensure that the validity
of what he has said is truly dependent on the fallacious statement being
accepted.  That is, that the so-called fallacy is not no more central to
his meaning than any other rhetorical device.  But I understand that it
is immensely tempting to pounce upon "invalid forms of discourse" by way
of immediately asserting victory, just as the thrill of winning is more
enjoyable than earnest persuasion.

> Making certain functionality mouse-only is, in fact, contrary to
> longstanding tradition.

For the lion's share of users unwilling to use the mouse, other-window
is perfectly adequate.  Or we would have heard otherwise long ago.

Whether Alan is a user of Windmove, I don't know, but he does not
believe it to justify default keybindings in the C-x 4 keymap.  I have
never used Windmove, because I am perfectly content with the status quo.
Eli did not so much as understand your proposal at first.  No others
have referred to having installed keybindings agreeing exactly with
yours, whatsoever concurrence they might have expressed, from which it
is easy to conclude that your choices are so universal as preferences
for text editor or tea versus coffee--that is to say, not universal at
all.