Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 00:41:19 +1000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> writes:

Because it's useful to navigate windows positionally as well as temporally. Other-window often has unpredictable effects and navigating with windmove DWIM.

Most users will for this purpose use the mouse, if there is really such a number of windows that navigating with other-window is impractical.

I'm disposed to say that this situation seldom appears in practice, or we should have received proposals to grant windmove default keybindings much earlier. And don't let's be given a lecture as to the inherent incompatibility of the mouse with Emacs's ethos or some such.

Please can we err on the side of *choice*.

I for one very much enjoy staying away from the mouse and navigating four or more windows with windmove, but I can well imagine some others may use the mouse.

I don't think it's necessary to guess at the majority, and I think it improves the experience for everyone if we don't.

Thanks and regards,

      - Joel