Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: fouvry+emacs-wiki
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:41:15 +0100 (CET)

,-- On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:23:48 +1100, Angus Lees wrote:

[...]

| > What's your main wishlist feature?
|
| "less features" ;)
|
| I *really* like the simplicity and flexibility of a wiki with some
| simple helper routines to manipulate lines that match a certain
| pattern.  I'm worried all these exotic reports, task databases, task
| hierarchies, etc will make people think planner-el is more than it
| is -- and that development will take planner further away from "just
| being a wiki".
|
| As someone who only uses emacs-wiki through emacs (and never publishes
| anything to HTML), I'd like it if someone could hide task ids and find
| a way to make the hidden parts of long links not affect line-wrapping.
| (But neither of them bothers me enough to do it myself)

It worries me a bit as well.  I also (almost) never use the publishing
functions (I'm very relieved they were moved out to a different file
in recent versions).  I've even started wondering whether I should
move to wiki.el, for often all I need is just hyperlinking.

I can see that there's a point in extensions and ideas, but I expect
that one day a big redesign will be required.  It would be a pity if
Planner would go under due to featurism.  I think that it should
either be kept simple, but then the extensions are limited, or it
should be done with a better suited but more complicated data
structure (such as a data base), but then the price will be that much
of the simplicity is lost.  ... Or both are developed, with conversion
routines between the two ;-).

Anyway, I would very much welcome some autoload declarations (either
in a separate file, or in the usage comments): they would make planner
and emacs-wiki much lighter in use.  (And no, I wouldn't call _that_
an extra feature ;-)

Frederik